Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Without Technology Access, We Fall Apart

My favorite part of the blackout last night, had to be the fact that every other class was cancelled, but guess who is still working hard, standing in the hallway practicing because the rooms have no lights. Yes, that's right, Chamber Singers. They could all be bleeding from the head and I believe there would still be a rehearsal, it would just a fairly messy one, yet still most certainly productive if Queen Jensen had anything to say about it. I think she is brillantly insane. If there is anything to say about her insanity is that they are as good as they are due to this distinct quality. BB (before blackout) I walked into Oratorio late due to having to change for Preparing the Total Performer. Lucky for me Chris had talked me into going to class, because when I walked in I found we were having a full rehearsal with the orchestra and all. I also found out that we have a performance on Tuesday. Good thing I went to class. Sitting next to my section was Dr. Sutton who told me I probably wouldn't be able to get to the middle of the row and kindly went and got me a chair. Singing Beethoven's Ninth standing next to Sutton and having the soloists right in front of me and voice teachers (including my own) behind me was quite nerve racking so I worked the hardest I have ever sung. It was cool when Sutton leaned over and told me he liked this part of the song, it was good to know he didn't hate me which I am still sensitive about, but he talked to me in such a friendly way. Preparing the Total Performer went well, we worked on my singing, twice! She had me walk back and forth while I sang, and I was thrilled that my nerves disappeared and this class that I feel so inferior in saw my true voice and colors come out. After class, Professor Hinds pulled me aside and told me I had a beautiful voice I just need to enjoy it more. Awesome! Later, to my great delight, I ran into Sutton who literally said, despite the whole choir singing, the orchestra, the soloists, and everything else he could have noticed in that whole rehearsal, he told me "Good job today Christina!" I was so unbelievably blown away, extremely flattered, and most definitely thrilled. That completely made my night. It just got better from there, well, at least more interesting. The whole building being dark, I didn't have my voice lesson, plus I couldn't find my voice teacher. I hung out at the music building for the next hour, partly because I didn't know if Pat would show up and partly because it was dark and there was no way in hell I was walking back to my apartment in the wind and cold by myself in the dark. I tried calling Jonathan but he was busy, and didn't want to make him walk from the mods just to walk me to my apartment. I really need more guy friends. Anyway, there was an alarm going off by the office next to the elevator and these foreign exchange students thought it was going off because there was someone stuck in the elevator so they called campus safety but couldn't relate their message properly. To my horror, one of them hands me the phone and tells me to tell them what is going on so I tell them, "They think there is someone stuck in the elevator." They didn't even let me say that I didn't think there was, or that they only thought that due to the alarm, but campus safety said thanks then hung up. Not 20 minutes later, after which they only sound coming from the elevator was the damn alarm which was off pitch, by the way, the 2 fireman and 2 campus safety officers walk in with picks and axes. I wanted to laugh but was way to shocked and excited for this excitement to say a word. Watching this all occur and the fireman try to see if someone is in there and attempting to find the "elevator room" (whatever that is) a guy on my left and girl on my right lean over to me and says, "what pitch do you think the alarm is?" I said, "Are you serious right now?!," and the guy says, "It is between G and A." I was so shocked, music majors are such nerds. Then later these three people stand around the alarm and test it with a pitch device on their iPhone, ridiculous. I finally told one of the firemen, after about 40 minutes mind you, that I saw who called and explained what really happened and that the people who called were foreign and he suddenly understood. Convinced the excitement was over, and tired of being stuck in the music building, I called Kari and she came and got me with two of her guy friends. Shockingly no, that is not the end of the eventfullness of the evening. to be continued..........

No comments: