Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Alcohol

Alcohol is something I'm not a big fan of. I've never tried alcohol but I've seen it in action on my friends and family so I'm not totally unfamiliar with it.

My mom is one of those people on a hot day she may drink a beer and a glass of wine during dinner occasionally but she doesn't get drunk and she says she remembers being drunk once in college then never again. My real dad had some problems with alcohol so I don't remember seeing him drink but then again I was seven and my step-dad and major problems with it and he's been sober 21 years. I asked once if he would ever try drinking again and he said no and I said why not, he said because he doesn't know what might happen and he's not willing to go back to where he was. I totally respect him for that. I once made the comment that my dad was a recovered alcoholic and he corrected me by saying you never fully recover, there is always a struggle and mine is maintaining sobriety. My aunt and uncle on my dad's side, my dad's brother, sat me down and went through family history with me letting me know things that run in my family since my dad's not around to do it they did and my mom doesn't know. Alcohol is a problem in my family which is why my uncle doesn't drink. My family likes to drink though, maybe not getting drunk but it seems to be in my genes to favor it. My whole Spencer side likes to go to this pizza place, watch the Cowboys game, and drink beer it's just a fun family gathering. It helps that my other uncle works for Budweiser so pizza places give him free beer because he supplies it and he helps them out for free when their machines break. On my mom's side there isn't a problem with alcohol, at least none that I'm aware of. My grandpa however touched it his whole life, 76 years. When he died I decided I, like him, would do the same.

My mom told me by the time I was in college or 21 I would change my mind about alcohol and never trying it but I feel that I won't. I have no interest at all. My mom let me take sips of her wine or beer or whatever when I was younger and everything was disgusting. I honestly don't think that even if I wanted to drink I would because the taste, smell and everything just repulses me. I also am a big law person and have felt really guilty when I jaywalked once so I don't think I would ever drink before I turn 21. I made a promise to my best friend, since she turns 21 before I do, that if I decide to drink that she will be there because she doesn't trust anyone else to take care of me if I drink too much or anything. But I really don't feel like I'm going to drink and definitely not right now, not that I have anything against people who do drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.