Monday, February 14, 2011

Daddy's Girl

As the tears trickle down my face I remember that same look on your face, the same look on my face, and that fateful day when everything I ever knew came to an end. How I miss your smile, your laugh, your love. I miss everything about you. I miss being your little girl. I wish I had known, really known. I wish I had understood. I was so small and so naive. I remember watching you as we drove away, watching you watch us leave. I remember asking my sobbing mother why daddy was watching us leave. She said he was saying goodbye. I never knew why or what that meant at the time, how could I. It wasn't until many years later that I had realized how significant that moment truly was. It was the last time I would ever see my daddy.

I've been a good girl. I hope I make you proud. There are days I know that I don't, for that I am sorry. I think about you often, and rarely. Some days it is just too hard to think about, others it seems all too factual. I'm sure you have noticed the going-ons in my life. I wish you were here to go through them with me. As I sit here staring at a photo of you encompassing me in your arms, I remember what it meant to be a daughter. What "daddy's girl" truly means. The meaning strikes more hearts than I could probably count. I wish that I could take the pain away from some and explain the value in what they have to others. It makes me sad that I never really got that experience. I am so thankful for mom. She has been my rock through everything. She took care of me. She makes everything ok. I don't know where I would be without her.

I hope you are happy, wherever you are. I hope you watch over me and smile. I hope you laugh with me, and cry with me, and love with me. I take you with me everywhere I go. You will always be the most important man in my life, in my heart, daddy. I love you, and I always will.

No comments: